Elevate your career possibilities with a Master of Laws from Cumberland School of Law. Designed for professionals who have already earned a Juris Doctor, this online degree will help position you for advancement and equip you with knowledge to help you stand out in today’s competitive workforce.
Cumberland School of Law’s Master of Laws (LL.M.) is a 31-hour master's degree program offered completely online. Designed for professionals who have previously earned a Juris Doctor (J.D.), the program will help position you for advancement in your current field or it can help set you apart for a new career path. Our faculty are industry experts, practicing attorneys, Cumberland School of Law faculty and Samford University faculty from other disciplines.
Our program prepares students for professional careers through real-world courses and training and encourages graduates to pursue relevant professional credentials from industry-leading organizations. Students are empowered to communicate and interact effectively with attorneys, compliance professionals, and other members of the legal community, while developing core competencies in a specialized field of study which are necessary for professional success.
Upon completion of this program, students will be equipped to:
- Utilize legal databases to access the primary sources of law in the United States: statutes, regulations and court decisions.
- Analyze key issues in policy and compliance from ethical, legal and economic perspectives.
- Interpret and evaluate cost effectiveness and outcomes used in decision making.
- Communicate complex ideas, orally and in writing, using legal and industry-specific terminology.
All applicants must complete and submit an application. All materials must be submitted through the online system which includes detailed instructions. It is the applicant’s responsibility to log into his or her application to confirm that all required materials have been received. Official transcripts must be submitted directly from the awarding institution to:
Cumberland School of Law
800 Lakeshore Drive
Birmingham Alabama, 35229
ATTN: Grad Law.
Please allow ample time for transcript orders to be processed.
- Submit a transcript indicating the award of a Juris Doctor or be currently enrolled as a Juris Doctor student at Cumberland School of Law
- One letter of recommendation from a former faculty member or professional colleague
- Personal statement indicating career plans and likelihood of success in graduate study
- Professional resume
- Application Open – November 1, 2022
- Application Deadline for Fall 2023 Admission - July 15, 2023
- Deadline for FAFSA - July 31, 2023
- Fall 2023 Term Begins - August 21, 2023
Tuition and Fees, Financial Aid
|Distance Learning Fee||$100 per course x 10 courses|
|Technology Fee||$175 per term (fall and spring only) x 4 terms|
|Total Approximate Cost||$30,778|
***On average, there is a 3% tuition increase each academic year.
For information about financial aid, please visit the Office of Financial Aid online or call their office at 205-726-2905 or 1-800-888-7245.
"The Master of Laws program at Cumberland School of Law was an incredible and invaluable experience. I have aspired to be a health care attorney since my first law school summer clerkship. That summer, I was entrenched in the health care legal world and became eager to endeavor into learning as much as I could to eventually practice in the field of health law—by giving back to our essential medical community in guiding them through the complexities of the ever-evolving regulatory and compliance challenges facing them day-to-day. Cumberland’s LL.M. with a focus in health law and compliance aided me in accomplishing just that. Today, I practice in the areas of healthcare regulatory compliance and transactional law at Maynard, Cooper & Gale. I would not be where I am today—doing what I love at such an innovative, respected institution that emphasizes a fulfilling and quality environment—without my LL.M. from Cumberland. From the intriguing courses, to the exceptionally experienced and engaged professors, I highly recommend Cumberland’s online master’s program for any professional seeking to complement and enhance their expertise to obtain a desired career or elevate a current career."
Mitchell Surface, J.D./LL.M. ’21
Health Law and Compliance